вторник, 8 августа 2006 г.

10 Reasons Why I’m Not Sending My 5 Year Old to Kindergarten

10 Reasons Why I’m Not Sending My 5 Year Old to Kindergarten
Check out these 10 reasons why I'm not sending my 5 year old to kindergarten! Number 5 is so often overlooked!

We decided NOT to send our 5 year old to kindergarten! Here's why.

Do you feel like your 5 year old isn't ready for kindergarten? Here's why you might want to redshirt!

There are LOTS of good reasons to redshirt Kindergarten! Check out these 10.

Here are 10 reasons why I'm not sending my 5 year old to kindergarten!

We decided to hold our daughter back from Kindergarten. Here's why!

Check out these 10 reasons why we decided to redshirt our 5 year old for kindergarten.

The ABC's for Godly Children Bible Curriculum

How to Handle Opposition to Breastfeeding

How To Help a New Mama After Her Baby Arrives

Having a natural birth in the hospital is a possibility for expectant moms.
Why I Chose Natural Birth In the Hospital

I wish I had read this article a year ago… My daughter was born in early December. The cutoff age to start preschool in our community is “age 4 by December 31”. She was seeming bored at home, even with her 19-months younger brother to play with, play dates, and numerous outings. So I started her in a two-day-per-week preschool in the fall of 2014 at the age of 3. She excelled. Her preschool teacher told me she was more than ready for kindergarten, as did various other early childhood educator friends of mine, two of whom had sent their children to school at age late 3/early 4.


I wasn’t 100% certain, but with about a 90% confidence rate, and after much prayer, my husband and I started her in kindergarten this year at the age of 4. I’m not sure if I could regret that decision more than I do! She’s always been a slightly anxious child. This year it is far worse. She cries nearly every time I drop her off at school, which she’s been attending two full days per week for two months. She’s not just tired at the end of a full day of kindergarten. She’s EXHAUSTED, as in, she falls asleep within seconds of being buckled into her car seat. Sure, she’s learning to read, making friends, behaving very appropriately socially, and seems to be doing fine once she’s in class and I’m no longer in sight, but outside of class, she’s sad more often than not and just wants to be home with her brother and I drawing, playing at the park, reading, and snuggling. I’m honestly not sure what to do now. If I withdraw her, her friends will move ahead of her which could be difficult socially, although that’s certainly not insurmountable. If I keep her in kindergarten this year, then I wonder if I’m setting her up for failure for the rest of her school years?


I have been contemplating having her do a second year of kindergarten, but have recently been told that our district doesn’t allow kids to be “held back” for any reason, as to do so is “psychologically damaging”. Isn’t that policy in and of itself potentially psychologically damaging?


So now I am faced with figuring out what the next step is. Both my husband and I are very educated (masters degrees), and did very well in school. But I still don’t feel qualified to home school her. Yet, the current system is forcing our kids to be adults long before they’re ready. If I could turn back time, I would make a different decision. I would keep my sweet little girl home until she was 5, at least! I hope and pray that anyone else considering sending their young child to school will prayerfully contemplate their decision and its potential impact on their child. I wish I hadn’t let other “professionals” sway my decision. They’re only little once.


Original article and pictures take thehumbledhomemaker.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий