пятница, 5 ноября 2010 г.

Cough-Away Tincture

Cough-Away Tincture
Cough Away Tincture.2 edutjpg

Last week, I woke up to find my 4-year-old lying on the couch, coughing. Ah, a summer cold.


Some mullein tea and a probiotic later, and he was off and playing. It reminded me, though, that fall is coming, and that colds will be more common. I’m hoping to protect my family against most colds this winter, but I’m sure we’ll still get one or two. In that case, I need to be prepared with this simple cough-away tincture.


Tinctures generally take 6 weeks to make, so I’m starting mine now. (I’m also starting this teething tincture, since my new baby is an unbelievable 6 weeks old already, and he might need it by the time it’s done!)


The cough-away tincture is super quick to put together, and it’s filled with herbs to help with respiratory ailments. They’re some of my favorites, and they help my family quickly!


Cough Away Tincture


This tincture combines mullein, echinacea, elderberry, and marshmallow root. There are tons of other herbs you could include, like wild cherry bark, slippery elm root, colt’s foot, Oregon grape root, astragalus, and more. But these are the most basic ones, and the ones that work best for most people.


Mullein is known to help respiratory illnesses, including coughs, colds, flu, bronchitis, and more. Elderberry has been shown to be effective at shortening the duration of the flu, and may benefit colds as well. Echinacea is a general immune booster and may shorten the duration of colds. Marshmallow root is a “slippery” sort of herb that helps to coat the throat, reducing sore throat and coughs.


I promise this is easy…and little kids can take it too.


Ingredients:


  • 1 tbsp. mullein leaf (where I buy)
  • 1/4 c. filtered water

Simple, herbal cough away tincture to fight coughs, colds, sinus infections, and other respiratory illnesses.  Easy to make, perfect for fall/winter health.

Directions:


Step 1: Combine all the herbs in a 4-oz. glass jar.


Step 2: Add the glycerin and water.


Step 3: Put a lid on the jar and shake to combine.


Step 4: Place the jar in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks. Shake occasionally.


Step 5: Strain through a piece of cloth, discarding the herbs and retaining the liquid. Store in a dark brown glass bottle with a dropper.


To make the “cough away” work, give 5 – 10 drops for kids under 6, or 10 – 20 drops for older kids and adults as needed. We like to mix tinctures with a bit of juice to make them easier to take. I also give cod liver oil and probiotics both preventatively, and extra if we are sick. This combination, plus extra rest and detox baths, works fast. Often we feel “okay” within a few hours, and symptoms are gone in a day or two!


What’s your go-to remedy for coughs and colds?


Original article and pictures take modernalternativehealth.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий