пятница, 25 января 2013 г.

How I Got My Kids to Like Brussels Sprouts

How I Got My Kids to Like Brussels Sprouts

Apples and maple syrup combined to magically make Brussels sprouts disappear from the kids’ plates.


Slow cooker brussels sprouts apples

It was like an episode of Iron Chef played out in my house. The judges were my kids. And the ingredient challenge: Brussels Spouts. I had to try to get the kids to like them.


I’ve tried lots of times before. And failed. (Not a bad thing, that’s more for me. And I adore Brussels sprouts.)


I prepared Brussels sprouts with all my usual tricks – but failed in the likability category. Here’s my list of tricks that typically work as For-Sure Ways to Get Kids (and Husbands) to Like Veggies:



But it was the slow cooker that worked! And it was all about texture: After just one hour in the Crock Pot, these Slow Cooker Brussels Sprouts with Apples are still firm to bite, but soft enough for kids to chew. They’re also – and this is KEY – not mushy! The cooked down into (familiar!) chunky, sweet apple sauce. At the end, just stir in a bit more sweetness – some maple syrup – and some pecans for crunch. The dish received two-thumbs-up from all four of my little judges. (OK, full-disclosure, one judge gave it only one-thumb-up.)


Apples & maple magically combine: How I Got My Kids to Like Brussels Sprouts | @TspCurry

This recipe for Slow Cooker Brussels Sprouts with Apples is also a perfect side for this time of year because it is:


  • Frees up oven space to roast and bake
  • Ready in just 1 hour – so it can be thrown together last minute with just 5 ingredients …while you’re getting ready for a party
  • Portable to bring to a holiday buffet – especially with optional garnishes like pomegranate and buttery Homemade Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs
  • Because I’m a dietitian: Helps you bring something healthy to the table!

Slow Cooker Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Maple

My kids ate it on a ‘normal’ night as a side for Cornmeal Crusted Fish sticks…before we rushed out the door to Christmas choir practice. So yes, it was a timed challenge, and I won!


Do your kids eat Brussels sprouts? Any other veggies they won’t touch?


Original article and pictures take www.teaspoonofspice.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий