четверг, 22 августа 2013 г.

How to Make Elderberry Syrup with dried Elderberries

How to Make Elderberry Syrup with dried Elderberries
how to make elderberry syrup from dried elderberries, deal with cold and flu symptoms naturally

The cold and flu season is nearly upon us, and I want to be ready.


Yes, I feed my family a whole foods diet, rich in nutrients and vitamins and minerals. But, despite my best efforts, sometimes a bug comes to stay in our house. Of course, my kids learned how to share, so they do. Instead of running to the pharmacy for some OTC medicine that may have ingredients that I don’t want to give my kids, I make my own natural medicines to help deal with symptoms. Elderberries have been used medicinally for hundreds of years and may have a measurable effect in treating flu, allergies, and helping with respiratory health. (source:Wikipedia)


dried elderberries

Instead of buying the elderberry syrup at the health food stores at the rate of $20 for a 4oz. bottle, I make my own. I bought a 1lb. bag of dried elderberries for less than $20 and got to work!


dried berries

First, I took 2 cups of filtered water (I use a berkey) and brought that to a boil.


Then, I added 1 cup of the dried elderberries and took off the heat. I let the elderberries steep for 30 minutes, and swirled the pan every so often. I don’t have a real reason why I swirled it, I just like to do that.


berriessteeping

Then, drain the elderberries.


I used a wooden spoon to “push” the rest of the tea into the jar. Add 1/4 cup of honey and stir to dissolve. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months. To use, simply add 1/4 cup of the syrup to a large mug and fill with hot water to drink as a tea, or take 1 Tablespoon by mouth while symptoms persist.


draining berries

**This post is for educational purposes only. The information provided by myself is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any conditions. If you are seeking medical advice, please speak with a licensed health care professional.**


stocks and broth newsletter

Original article and pictures take thehomesteadinghippy.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий