среда, 30 декабря 2015 г.

Sling Sewing

Sling Sewing

Share with:


Sling Sewing  #t2hmkr
This is the homemade sling I used the entire time my firstborn was a baby and through most of my second daughter’s babyhood, as well.

Slings are wonderful. There are many, many benefits of babywearing. If you aren’t familiar with them, try an internet search for “babywearing”. There are many websites with lengthy lists, so I’m not going to add another.


Slings are much more versatile than Snugli-type carriers, and most are not as bulky. With a sling, the main options are usually to carry the baby in a cradlehold (good for nursing), against your chest – either face-in or face-out, on your hip,

or on your back. Many of the sling sites, including the sling sources I will offer later, provide photos and instructions for the various carries.


The most popular slings seem to be the Over The Shoulder Baby Holder (OTSBH) – a padded sling with rings and a closed tail, the Maya Wrap – an unpadded sling with rings and an open tail (THE most popular, I think), and the Didymos – a German sling with no rings (you have to tie it). You can buy the Maya Wrap at their site. The others (and more) are available from Kangaroo Korner. [Although, as far as I know, the purchasing information here is still correct, the “most popular” information is probably out-of-date, with the introduction of a number of new baby carriers on the market. I personally tried – and loved – a Kozy Carrier, which happens to be made by a mama local to me. (I still like my homemade “Maya Wrap” for a small baby, but the Kozy was great for a toddler.)]


In case you’re wondering, an open tail means that the fabric is free – you can spread it out. A closed tail means that the fabric at the end is all sewn together into a tight little package.


If you want to make your own, there are many patterns available.


The following are commercial sling patterns:

Elizabeth Lee Designs pattern – padded sling with an open tail.

Sew Creative pattern – padded sling

Born to Love pattern – padded sling


And these are free patterns:

miscellaneous sling helps

Jennifer’s sling page

Kelly’s padded sling

Mama-Ts padded sling

Maya Wrap-style unpadded sling – This is the pattern I used for my own sling, and I really like it.

Reverend Jan’s unpadded sling

Stacey’s tube-style sling

Non-adjustable sling

Carrier – I think this is like the Maya Pouch. I’m not sure, though, as I’ve never seen the Maya Pouch.

Maka’s crocheted mesh sling

German Didymos-style sling

Mexican Rebozo-style sling

Moby-style wrap

Sewing a Ring Sling


Most Many of these patterns will require rings. Make sure they’re at least 1/2 an inch thick and loadbearing. You can get sling rings from Elizabeth Lee Designs’ ring page or from Sling Rings.


This is not to be construed as design or medical advice, and I cannot be held responsible for the way you make your sling. Just use common sense and remember that this has to hold your precious baby.


Share with:


Send to Kindle


If you liked this post, you might also like:


Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.


Original article and pictures take titus2homemaker.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий