вторник, 12 сентября 2017 г.

Why We Gave Up Our Microwave

Why We Gave Up Our Microwave
microwave and electric kettle

We moved to our “new” (my childhood) home one year ago, and with the move we gave up having a microwave. We also gave up our sanity (hello, moving with a 3 year old, 2 year old and 4 month old.)


We had used a built-in one previously and probably assumed that we would just purchase another one once we settled, but after hearing of some negatives in using the appliance and frankly, not wanting to make extra space in the beautiful kitchen we were designing and renovating, we said “adios microonda” (apparently that’s microwave in Spanish). Yup, we gave up our microwave.


We have now gone over a year without said appliance and are actually quite pleased by some of the unexpected changes it has made way for.


1. We eat more fresh produce


There are certainly a few vegetables that require heat to relinquish some of their nutrients but many fruits and vegetables are healthier eaten raw.


2. I’m more creative with meals


Instead of just throwing something into the microwave to enjoy the 2nd or 3rd time, I find it a fun challenge to re-invent foods into different meal options.


Here’s my delicious stove-top popcorn replacement, and Beth’s recipe for stove-top kettle corn with maple syrup.


Why We Gave Up Our Microwave - R&H 1

4. I don’t always rush the preparation of meals


I’m going to be honest, having a hungry husband and 3 beautiful wild ones begging for supper by 430pm certainly makes a number of dinner preparations rushed, but when I don’t have the option of a microwave, I know that I can feel better about the time, love and possibly quality of the food I’m preparing. Which leads me to my final point.


5. We feel healthier


There is a lot of research out there about the pros/cons, the dangers/safety of using a microwave on your food, the possibility of nutrient loss and exposure to radiation and chemical leakage from certain containers, etc, etc… But, since I’m not a researcher myself and (even though I’ve read dozens of articles on the topic now) I don’t feel like I’ve sifted through enough literature on the topic to be certain one way or the other, I am going to state that I do not know absolutely the truth on this subject.


I will say, however, that I enjoy the flavour and appearance of my stove-top/oven-cooked food better and that I feel healthier feeding my family more traditionally-cooked meals.


You might be wondering, have there been times when I missed it?


Actually, yes, there have been a couple instances. When I’ve wanted to quickly re-heat my tea (do any moms out there actually get to enjoy hot beverages?) or melt butter for a baking adventure, but honestly, other than that, it hasn’t really been missed!


And, I’ve found that I can still enjoy cool tea (or throw it in a pot on the stove, if I’m really desperate) and melt butter in the oven while it’s pre-heating. #lifehack


Yay!


So, my friends, I challenge you to consider taking a little hiatus, maybe even a long-term break from your microwave. Ooh, I definitely suggest the latter, ‘cuz then you can yell randomly “we were on a break!” (You know what I’m talking about ‘Friends’ fans!).


Anyone else out there enjoying life without their microwave?


Original article and pictures take redandhoney.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий