среда, 16 марта 2011 г.

DIY All-Natural Homemade Hand Sanitizer

DIY All-Natural Homemade Hand Sanitizer
I refuse to buy hand sanitizer! Not only do we avoid triclosan, but making homemade hand sanitizer is easy and all-natural. This recipe is a mix/match of what you have on hand, and it's ready in under a minute! Plus the essential oils smell good AND keep the germs away! Perfect for children at school. :: DontWastetheCrumbs.com
I refuse to buy hand sanitizer! Not only do we avoid triclosan, but making homemade hand sanitizer is easy and all-natural. This recipe is a mix/match of what you have on hand, and it's ready in under a minute! Plus the essential oils smell good AND keep the germs away! Perfect for children at school. :: DontWastetheCrumbs.com

I. can’t. stand. hand. sanitizer.


It totally grosses me out. It’s gel-y, stick-y and I really don’t like the idea of adding chemicals to my hands to clean them.


So we eliminated hand sanitizer from our house YEARS ago. Like, back when my daughter used to think it was a toy and smear it all over herself.


Seriously.


It’s been a no-no for the family ever since… which is why when I saw “hand sanitizer” on my daughter’s school supply list, I nearly choked on my granola.


My stubbornness kicked in. I absolutely was NOT going to buy hand sanitizer and send it with my daughter to school.


First, I can’t stand the stuff, remember? What’s wrong with natural soap and water?


Second, I don’t trust my daughter with the stuff for one iota of a moment. I know how she works. She’ll gladly use it at the tiniest suggestion from her teacher.


Clean up after recess? Before lunch? After lunch? To get the marker off her hands (that she “accidentally” drew on herself)?


She’ll be on it like white on rice.


And my crunchy self will want to throw a fit. All the the hard work I’ve put into NOT having hand sanitizer in the house and FINALLY getting my daughter to stop asking for it? Down the tubes.


But I promise – I’m not going down without a fight!


The purpose of hand sanitizer is essentially to disinfect when soap and water are not available. It’s faster and easier in classroom environment, and since not all families teach their kids to wash their hands regularly (or properly), I totally understand why her teacher wanted her to have some.


At the same time, I’m very much so NOT on board with triclosan.


Never heard of triclosan? It’s one of the most common ingredients found in products labeled “anti-bacterial,” including hand sanitizers. (Hand sanitizers are just one of many potentially contaminated items – get the full list of products to avoid here.)


Besides, the FDA has said so themselves that hand sanitizer is not any more effective than soap and water. So what’s the point of using it?


Can you tell this issue is a soap box for me? Grrr…


Homemade hand sanitizer recipe using vodka, witch hazel, rubbing alcohol and/or essential oils. The easiest way to make homemade hand sanitizer out there!
Homemade hand sanitizer recipe using vodka, witch hazel, rubbing alcohol and/or essential oils. The easiest way to make homemade hand sanitizer out there!

Here’s the thing. I can control what goes on in my home. I have declared it a hand sanitizer free environment, choosing quality goat milk soap, water and lots of scrubbing action instead.


But I cannot control what goes on at school. While I don’t have to like it, I understand the circumstances surrounding the need for hand sanitizer in a classroom full of first graders who pick their nose and eat glue.


But I won’t buy it. I’m making my own instead with 100% natural ingredients. That way it’s effective AND doesn’t have triclosan.


And my daughter doesn’t come home with cooties!


Avoiding chemicals is one thing we try hard to do at my house. Making our own hand sanitizer helps us when we are on the go or for the kids at school when soap and water isn't easy to get to.
Avoiding chemicals is one thing we try hard to do at my house. Making our own hand sanitizer helps us when we are on the go or for the kids at school when soap and water isn't easy to get to.

There are several options for making an all-natural homemade hand sanitizer. This tutorial will make two kinds you’re used to seeing at stores: gel and spray. If you’re looking for a super super (aka FREE) option, scroll down to the bottom!


DIY All-Natural Homemade Hand Sanitizer


Supplies: Gel


2 drops tea tree essential oil**

3 drops essential oils** with antimicrobial properties (lavender, thyme, peppermint, clove, cinnamon, rosemary, eucalyptus OR thieves blend)

1 Tbsp liquid (water OR witch hazel OR rubbing alcohol OR vodka)

3 Tbsp aloe vera gel

1 tsp vitamin E oil (a soothing, nourishing oil that acts as a preservative)

squeezable tube or glass jar for storage (or re-purpose a suitable container)


Supplies: Spray


2 drops tea tree essential oil**

3 drops essential oils** with antimicrobial properties (lavender, thyme, peppermint, clove, cinnamon, rosemary, eucalyptus OR thieves blend)

1 Tbsp witch hazel OR rubbing alcohol OR vodka

2 Tbsp distilled water (or water that has been boiled and cooled)

1 tsp aloe vera gel (optional)

1 tsp vitamin E oil (a soothing, nourishing oil that acts as a preservative)

squeezable tube or glass jar for storage (or re-purpose a suitable container)


**Note: I prefer to buy Young Living essential oils, but I’ve heard good things about Rocky Mountain Oils and Plant Therapy as well.


Method for both Gel and Spray


Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Pour into the container of choice and disinfect away!


DIY Hand Sanitizer is one of the easiest homemade recipes! Simply mix and pour into a squeeze bottle.
DIY Hand Sanitizer is one of the easiest homemade recipes! Simply mix and pour into a squeeze bottle.

Additional Recipe Notes


It is important to supervise children when using hand sanitizer, whether homemade or store-bought. While the ingredients are natural, they can be harmful to children if ingested. YOU squirt into their hands and watch them rub it in. Don’t let them squirt (they’ll likely use too much) and don’t send them away until they’re done rubbing!


Vodka and Vitamin E oil are natural preservatives. The shelf life of homemade hand sanitizer will be several months if you use both. If you omit both, you’ve got about a month or so.


Some antimicrobial essential oils (like cinnamon especially) can be irritating to sensitive skin. Use less essential oil, or add more of another essential oil that soothes (like chamomile).


Cost Breakdown


Straight up, homemade hand sanitizer is NOT more affordable than store-bought. But it doesn’t have icky stuff… so you kinda have to pick and choose what’s more important to you.


If you’re paying off debt or for whatever reason cannot afford the ingredients for the recipe above, consider using vinegar! Vinegar is non-toxic, edible and kills 99% of bacteria. Just keep some in a small spray bottle, spray on the hands and rub together. Shake or wipe dry and you’re good to go.


Tip: The scent of vinegar is strong and sometimes undesirable. Consider making citrus infused vinegar or use homemade apple cider vinegar for FREE instead!


What’s your stance on hand sanitizer and triclosan?


Some Other Posts You Might Like:




Original article and pictures take dontwastethecrumbs.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий