вторник, 17 мая 2011 г.

DIY Reusable Snack Bags

DIY Reusable Snack Bags
DIY Reusable Snack Bags - R&H main

Guest post by Cheyenne


As a mom of a very hungry toddler, snacks are something we just can’t live without. Since she’s been able to feed herself, Aislin has always used one of those snack cups with the plastic lids that she’d just stick her hand in and grab a handful of cheddar bunnies.


But those cups soon became the bane of my existence. They did not fit nicely in my bag and all the crumbs would inevitably find their way out of the opening and into the crevices of my purse. I needed something different, something convenient, something simple and toddler friendly. Naturally, I consulted Pinterest. (C’mon, you do it too!)


Briefly, I had considered using plain old plastic baggies but I didn’t like the thought of using all that plastic and, frankly, I’m kind of cheap. Using plastic baggies for every snack would get expensive quickly.


When I came across some Pins of reusable snack baggies, it was like a light bulb lit up over my head.


That’s what I needed! I looked at about a dozen different tutorials but none of them were exactly what I wanted: easy to make, easy to use, no zippers or Velcro, machine washable, cute, toddler friendly. So I did what I normally do and made my own design.


In the interest of full disclosure, I warn you that I am not a very good seamstress. I am really good at sewing a straight line, but that’s about it. So don’t worry if you aren’t good at sewing.


If I can do this, so can you. I promise. Just give it a shot!


Supplies:


  • Two or three coordinating cotton fabrics of your choice (about a quarter or a half yard of each will be plenty)
  • Ripstop nylon fabric in color of your choice (I ordered a yard and have a LOT left so 1/2 a yard should work)
  • Coordinating thread
  • Sewing machine
  • Pins

Instructions:


Note: generally, you should wash and press all your fabric before you begin a project. In this case, it’s a good idea to do so with your cotton fabrics, but the ripstop doesn’t need to be washed.


DIY Reusable Snack Bag - R&H Collage1

Step 1:


The first thing I did was cut my fabric into rectangles 12″ long by 7″ wide. This will leave you with a snack bag around 5″ X 6″.


I also cut my ripstop fabric to the same dimensions.


When I cut fabric, I use a cutting mat, a cutting ruler (I don’t know what it’s actually called; it’s a long, wide ruler type thing used by quilters…proof I am not a pro at this), and a rotary blade.


You can use whatever is easiest for you!


Steps 2 -3:


Once all my fabric was cut I took one of the cotton rectangles and one of the ripstop rectangles and placed them right-sides together. I squared them up and began to pin around the border.


On one of the long edges I left about a 2″ gap between pins to remind me that I will keep that gap open so I can turn my snack bag right side out eventually.


Step 4:


Start sewing! Starting at one of those pins that indicated where my gap would be, I started sewing leaving 1/4 seam allowance. Remember to reverse stitch a couple of times at the beginning so your stitches don’t unravel.


I made my way around the entire rectangle and when I came to the other pin that marked my gap I stopped and reverse stitched. You should now have the two pieces completely sewn together except for that 2″ gap on one of the long edges.


SnackBags Collage2

Step 5:


Next, carefully cut the corners off the rectangle, but be sure not to cut your stitches! Cutting the corners helps to make sure the corners of your final piece are nice and pointy when you turn the fabric right side out.


Step 6:


Turn your fabric right side out and push the corners out with your pinky finger or a small awl.


Step 7:


Take your rectangle over to the ironing board and iron out all the wrinkles. Be sure to iron the cotton fabric side, not the ripstop side.


Also make sure the seam allowance of your gap is folded in. Ironing helps make the fabric nice and flat and also makes it easier to sew in the next step.


Step 8:


Once your rectangle is nice and ironed, place it ripstop side up on a flat surface and fold one of the short ends up toward the other short end, leaving about two inches at the top.


DIY Reusable Snack Bag - R&H Collage3

Step 9:


Then fold that remaining two inches down over the other end, creating a flap. Your rectangle should now look like an envelope. Pin the flap in place and head back over to your sewing machine.


Step 10:


Place one of the short edges under the needle and getting as close to the corner and edge as possible, begin your stitching (remember to reverse stitch). Continue down the edge and sew the entire side shut (including the flap). Do the same thing to the other side.


All done! You’ve made your very own reusable snack bag!


To open the bag, you just flip the flap up and push out the corners. Fill it with your kiddo’s favorite snack and you’re good to go!


Snackbag14

Why I love these bags:


  • ripstop fabric is easy to wipe clean (or they’re machine washable)
  • I love the flap because it keeps all the goodies in the bag and it’s easy for kid fingers to navigate
  • The size is perfect for portion control
  • The envelope style fits neatly in my purse or bag without adding extra bulk.

Note: These are not water proof, so if that matters to you, you might want to use PUL or vinyl for your lining fabric. For me, it’s not a concern, so these little baggies will work just fine!


Snackbags20

It looks like my little fairy princess approves! What do you think? Easy, right? You could probably make at least three of these during nap time once you get the hang of it. I would love to see how your reusable snack bags turn out!


_______


Cheyenne

Cheyenne, a photographer and SAHM, resides with her amazing hubby, two crazy kiddos, a Border Collie and two evil cats in the suburbs of Houston, Texas. Besides photography, her greatest passions include lots of coffee, autumn, flea markets, vintage finds, old books and red wine. When she’s not wrangling babies or shooting them (with her camera, of course) you can find her over at her blog, Girl v. The World, where she writes about everything from DIY, decor, motherhood, and healthy living, to the occasional product review or giveaway of things she loves.


Original article and pictures take redandhoney.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий