понедельник, 23 мая 2011 г.

DIY Scrub and Lotion for Keratosis Pilaris (“Chicken Skin”)

DIY Scrub and Lotion for Keratosis Pilaris (“Chicken Skin”)
This stuff is absolutely magical for most kinds of dry, flaky, or bumpy skin. It smooths and nourishes perfectly!

Guest post by Cheyenne Bell of Girl v. The World


As a girl, I remember being dismayed by the appearance of small white bumps that appeared on the back of my arms and wouldn’t go away for anything. At the time, I didn’t know what it was, but now I know I was battling keratosis pilaris, or the dreaded “chicken skin” condition.


According to the Mayo Clinic’s website, “[k]eratosis pilaris…is a common skin condition that causes rough patches and small, acne-like bumps, usually on the arms, thighs, cheeks and buttocks.


More often than not, the condition is nothing more than a nuisance to the person suffering from it and it is often outgrown by the time the sufferer is an adult. This was true in my case.


But when I noticed my two year old daughter had the same condition on the backs of her arms and her thighs, I didn’t want her to suffer the same embarrassment I did so I started researching natural ways to treat it.


I found a combination of gentle exfoliation and consistent moisturizing helps reduce the appearance of KP.


DIY Lotion and Scrub for Keratosis Pilaris - R&H

It also turns out that coconut oil is one of the best treatments for it. So I got to work making a special scrub and lotion and thought I’d share it here with you.


1. Whipped Coconut Butter Lotion


I combined 1/4 cup cocoa butter and 1/4 cup coconut oil in a glass measuring cup and placed the cup in a pot of simmering water on the stove (a lazy girl’s version of a double boiler). Once the two ingredients were melted and combined I let the concoction rest until it was cool to the touch.


DIY Lotion and Scrub for Karatosis Pilaris

DIY Lotion and Scrub for Keratosis Pilaris

Then I put it in the fridge for about an hour so that it became firm, but not hard, and it looked more like a solid than a liquid.


Using my handy immersion blender with the whisk attachment I whipped the heck out of the stuff until it became light and peaks began to form.


Halfway through the whipping process I stopped and added my chosen essential oils. I used about 15 drops of lavender and 8 drops of melaleuca (tea tree oil). Both are known for their healing properties, especially for skin conditions.


I also added a few drops of my favorite essential oil company’s calming blend because it promotes sleep (anything to help my toddler sleep is golden in my book!).


DIY Scrub and Lotion for Keratosis Pilaris 2

Finally, I transferred the lotion into a clean glass jar. Be sure to keep the lotion in a cool, dark place as coconut oil will become a liquid just above room temperature.


Use the lotion once or twice a day on affected areas, especially after bathing or showering.


2. Coconut Sugar Scrub


Making this scrub is so easy. I combined 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and mixed it up until it became the consistency of a thick slushy.


I then added 8-10 drops of geranium and 5-6 drops of helichrysum essential oils.


Beth’s EO sourcing recommendations:


There are several companies that produce high-quality oils, but my personal choice for high quality + excellent pricing is Plant Therapy, available on amazon.


Check out their essential oil starter set here, as well as their starter set for popular blends. They offer a fabulous Kid-Safe line as well – see the Kid-Safe starter set here.


DIY Lotion and Scrub for Keratosis Pilaris 3

I transferred it to a clean jar and it’s ready to use! Use it every time you bathe or shower. Rub it gently on the affected areas and let it sit for a few minutes so the steam can help the oils soak into your skin.


That’s all there is to it! I just started using this on my daughter but already her skin seems smoother. Fingers crossed that we can keep the dreaded “chicken skin” at bay until she outgrows it!


Anyone else out there suffer from KP? What other remedies have you found to help reduce or eliminate it?


__________________


Cheyenne

Cheyenne, a photographer and SAHM, resides with her amazing hubby, two crazy kiddos, a Border Collie and two evil cats in the suburbs of Houston, Texas. Besides photography, her greatest passions include lots of coffee, autumn, flea markets, vintage finds, old books and red wine. When she’s not wrangling babies or shooting them (with her camera, of course) you can find her over at her blog, Girl v. The World, where she writes about everything from DIY, decor, motherhood, and healthy living, to the occasional product review or giveaway of things she loves.


Original article and pictures take redandhoney.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий