среда, 21 мая 2014 г.

Instant Pot Hummus (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)

Instant Pot Hummus (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
Instant Pot Hummus with dried beans

He’s a hummus monster.


My four-year-old, that is. He can scarf down half a container of hummus with organic tortilla chips or carrot sticks in a flash, and I don’t have to encourage him.


We all love hummus around here, actually. For years, we’ve been buying it in the two-pack from Costco. The ingredients weren’t perfect, but through the stressful years of being broke, unemployed, in school, and moving a lot, we just called it one of our “compromise” foods – an easy and cheap source of protein that we all enjoyed.


Sure, I knew I could make my own (and that it would be cheaper and healthier), but the times I tried years ago didn’t result in the perfect texture and flavour that we were all used to, so I chose to let it go.


Recently, though, I was inspired to try again. Why? Two words: instant pot.


My instant pot has been slaving away on my countertop lately, whipping up all sorts of concoctions for my family. It’s not technically instant – I mean, there’s time for it to come up to pressure, then the actual cook time, then the pressure release – but yeah, it’s WAY faster for most things. And thus, just so darn convenient for a busy household trying to eat real food from scratch.


Instant Pot Hummus with dried beans

Hummus is incredibly cheap when you make it yourself from canned chickpeas, but when you start with the dried ones? Next level frugality, my friends (gold stars all around).


And since cooking dried beans in the instant pot is such a breeze, it makes the whole thing an easy and cheap way to cut a few dollars from my grocery bill.


Which, of course, leaves more room for the important things, like high-quality dark chocolate to stash in the high cupboards, my favourite ten-dollar jars of garlic dill pickles, and fancy aged cheeses when I feel a treat-yo’self moment coming on. (I.e. every night after the kids are asleep – hallelujah and pass the chocolate.)


During the daytime hours, though, this hummus is the real hero. It helps me fill my kids’ hollow legs (yes, plural) for cheap, and it’s quick and easy to make. #winning


Instant Pot Hummus with dried beans

Instant Pot Hummus (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)


Easy hummus from scratch starting with dried chickpeas in the instant pot. Finally, a homemade hummus recipe that my family all loves!


  • 2 cups dried chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)

  1. Place dried chickpeas and water in the instant pot, and set on manual mode for 40 minutes with NPR (natural pressure release).
  2. Add cooked chickpeas to a high-powered blender (I have a vitamix) with the rest of the ingredients, and blend on high until smooth.

This recipe makes quite a bit, so feel free to half the recipe if you are making it just for a few people, or if you go through hummus slowly at your house.

It also freezes fine for up to a couple of months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and stir in a small drizzle of olive oil if it has dried out at all.


This Instant Pot Hummus recipe is frugal (legumes FTW), easy (thank-you, dear Instant Pot), and best of all: it helps to fill my kids' insatiable hollow legs. They scarf it down, I feel good about serving them REAL food, not junk. We all win. :)

Original article and pictures take redandhoney.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий